Thursday, April 15, 2021

Student Profile: Emily Schebler



By Raven Crosby, Emory Dance Program Office Assistant

“I knew since the beginning of the college application process that I wanted to have a major in dance,” stated third-year student Emily Schebler. A Chattanooga, Tennessee native, she has been dancing since the age of two and dance has always been an important part of her life. “I dance because my body feels at home when I move. Throughout my life, it's been my emotional outlet, as well as a way to ignore life for a while and focus on movement. It also allows me to connect to my body unlike anything else. Dance has gotten me through countless hardships and brought me my most dear memories.”

Schebler was drawn to the Emory Dance Program due to the somatic-based work. “I was doing a lot of ballet in high school and was feeling some hardcore burnout; the emphasis [at Emory] on bodies moving how they move was very healing.” One thing that has kept her at the program is the Emory Dance community. “It's really hard not to have friends when you're in the Emory Dance Program. I've made some of the most meaningful connections in the Dance Program.” The courses that have had the greatest impact on her development as a dancer are contact improvisation and her modern technique courses. “Contact improvisation gave me access to body awareness I did not have before, as well as connect with other movers on a whole new level. Modern technique classes are very unique at Emory, and every course I've taken has brought something new to my awareness.”

Schebler provides powerful advice for first-year students: “It's a lot easier said than done but try not to compare your journey to anyone else's. There are some people in this program who have been dancing forever with a wide variety of backgrounds, and there are many who just started dancing while at Emory. There are some who want to dance after college professionally, and there are some who may not want to make dance their career but will continue to have a lifelong love for movement. Your journey is your own; fulfill what you need as a mover and a person. Try not to compare your skill, experience, or aspirations with anyone else's.”

No comments:

Post a Comment