Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Emory Dance Company Choreographer Leah Behm



My name is Leah Behm and I am a senior dance and anthropology double major from Potomac, MD.

I am drawing on a lot of things for inspiration for my EDC piece. I came into the process not really knowing what direction I wanted to go in, but I knew I would gain insight from my cast once we started moving together. I am inspired greatly by humor and the different ways to convey it, but more specifically, I am drawn to colors, music, and nostalgia. These themes appear throughout and though they may not seem related, they come together to create an abstract and humorous piece.

My rehearsals involve a lot of movement generation from my dancers as well as teaching set phrase material that I come up with. We also spend time manipulating the material and trying it out in different ways spatially and thematically.

On top of everything, I think the audience will perceive my piece as a conglomeration of funny moments surrounded by some great dancing. I also think the audience will feel a weird sense of nostalgia, or possibly feel connected to the piece via the spoken word and musical elements.

I have had such a great time so far by focusing on just creating something fun! I am so happy we have the opportunity to premiere these works in times like these and I can't wait for everyone to see the show, it's going to be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment