Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Emory Dance Company Choreographer Unique Wilson



My name is Unique Wilson, and I am a senior studying dance and movement studies and women’s, gender, and sexuality studies. My hometown is Washington, DC.

During the fall semester, I confronted a personal struggle, which I am still working through, and which is the inspiration for my EDC piece—the experience of feeling like an outlier. Furthermore, I am curious about exploring the disconnect one feels when they are part of a group, yet they still feel separate. I realized that a lot of people can relate to this experience. I expect that my piece will not only communicate an aspect of my struggle but also extend beyond that. At the moment, there seems to be a (non-linear) narrative. I cannot say what will come of this narrative, but I am trusting the process.

When I started my rehearsal process, I came with set phrase material. Since then, I have tried to incorporate more improvisation into the process. I encourage my cast to play with the material I give them and embody it in their way. At times, I will give them prompts to generate more material. From there, I start thinking of structure and transition ideas that I work through with my cast. Recently, I integrated journaling prompts in my rehearsal. Due to the personal nature of my choreographic process, I felt it would be extremely worthwhile to invite my cast to self-reflect through journaling as well. Also, I like to start each rehearsal with a question for everyone to answer. I hope that these check-in moments will inspire our sense of community with each other.

I expect the audience to emotionally engage with my piece. There are moments that I believe will cause the audience to possibly empathize with the dancers if they are in a place to receive my work that way. In any case, I hope that my piece will cause the audience to feel something, perhaps some part of my struggle. For myself, I hope to say everything I intend to through my piece. I view this entire process as an opportunity to bring a part of my life that I rarely talk about to the light.



No comments:

Post a Comment