Thursday, April 29, 2021

Staff Favorites: Gregory Catellier and Dr. Mara Mandradjieff Bennett


Gregory Catellier, Professor of Practice

Q: Who is your favorite dance artist and why?

Greg: It's a tough one, but I still gravitate to David Dorfman's work. I am drawn to its specific physicality and musicality. There's an honesty to the work; specifically, I feel that the dancers are people dancing not dancers pretending to be people. The work is multilayered, abstract, and accessible.

Q: What is your favorite movie?


Greg: Children of Men--the production design is perfect.

Q: What is your favorite song?


Greg: David Byrne's "Dirty Old Town"… these days anyway.

Q: What has been your favorite course that you have taught for the Emory Dance Program?

Greg: Perhaps the one I haven't taught yet. I do really enjoy teaching Choreography I (solo composition). It is the most successful when the students teach each other.

Q: What is your favorite dance work and why?

Greg: DV8's Cost of Living might be my favorite dance work. It is witty, daring, political, and can be read in many ways. Also, the Cher section almost always brings me to tears with joy.

Q: What has been your favorite dance moment during your career?


Greg: Teaching Dominique Jones.

Q: What is your favorite food dish?

Greg: Outrageous question! It can't be answered.

Q: What has been your favorite dance moment at the Emory Dance Program?

Greg: Too many. I did love bringing Trisha Brown's Solo Olos to ACDA. I'm very proud of the guest artists we have presented.

Q: What is your favorite book?


Greg: Currently... Accidentally Wes Anderson

Q: What is your favorite place on Emory's campus?

Greg: Schwartz Center Dance Studio


Dr. Mara Mandradjieff Bennett, Instructor

Q: Who has been the most influential dance artist to you?

Mara: My dance teachers have been more influential to me as an artist than any famous professional dancer or choreographer. I have learned valuable things from each of them and am forever grateful for their generosity of knowledge.

Q: What is your favorite song?

Mara: "Hotel California" by the Eagles

Q: What has been your favorite dance moment at the Emory Dance Program?

Mara: Anytime I witness a student accomplish something new.

Q: What has been your favorite place you have traveled to?

Mara: France

Q: What is your favorite dance work and why?

Mara: My favorite piece to perform was George Balanchine's Valse Fantaisie. The choreography mainly consists of waltzes and jumps, so I always felt at home in the movement.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

Mara: The Silence of the Lambs

Q: What is your favorite place on Emory's campus?

Mara: The Matheson Reading Room in the Woodruff Library

Q: What is your favorite food dish?

Mara: Tacos


No comments:

Post a Comment