Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Emory Dance Company Choreographer Avery Hampton


My name is Avery Hampton, and I am from Savannah, Georgia. I am a senior studying neuroscience and behavioral biology and dance and movement studies.

I have always found pubescence hilariously entertaining, and I love how it is universally considered to be the most awkward time of our lives. It is a period where we grow into ourselves and begin to experience some adult-ish problems for which we often do not have the most mature solutions. I want to tap into the age that most of us spend our whole lives trying to forget and see what movement ideas spring from this headspace.

I do not have a strict rehearsal process, as I often find myself experimenting with different ways to generate movement. Each rehearsal, I like to begin with a question that usually pertains to a pubescent experience. Beyond that, I like to play with movements, abstract them, and use improvisation to generate ideas.

I think the audience will be confused yet charmed with my piece. I am hoping it inspires feelings of sweet nostalgia that they can relate to on some level. I also hope that this will be a piece that brightens their day and makes them feel connected to their younger selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment