Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Staff Favorites: Julio Medina, Sasikala Penumarthi, & Anne Walker


Julio Medina, Assistant Professor of Dance


Q: Who is your favorite dance artist and why?

Julio: It's difficult to choose a favorite. But, I really love the beauty of Pina Bausch's work. On the other hand, David Rousseve's work has been very influential in my movement and choreographic practice because I've worked with him recently in my career. Some of the dance moves and rhythms from his work "Halfway to Dawn" will probably stay in my body forever.

Q: What is your favorite place on Emory's campus?

Julio: The stone chairs on the hill, in between Alabama Hall and the Emory Student Center, overlooking Asbury Circle.

Q: What has been your favorite dance moment at the Emory Dance Program?

Julio:
I think ffall 2020 has been my favorite "moment." It was the first full semester of dancing during COVID, but I felt that the Dance Program, students, staff, and faculty combined really made a concerted effort to support each other in many ways. I think it was a tough but special semester and I was happy to teach in-person courses.

Q: What has been your favorite place you have traveled to?

Julio: Gah, this is a difficult question to answer. Some of my tops are Beijing, China; Austin, Texas; and Sorrento, Italy. But I think my most favorite is when I traveled to perform in Panama City, Panama.

Q: What has been your favorite course that you have taught/accompanied for at the Emory Dance Program?

Julio: I am really enjoying my advanced hip-hop class currently. I'd hate to choose a favorite because I do enjoy teaching all of my classes. But this hip-hop course feels more like a dance lab than a class, and that's exciting because we learn in a different way, through collaboration and community building.

Q: What is your favorite song?


Julio: Depends on the occasion. To dance to: "Apache Remix" by Grandmaster Flash. To be uplifted: "Spiritual State" by Nujabes. To rap in the car by myself: "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'"" by Wu Tang Clan. To do yard work: "Que Rico Mambo" by Perez Prado. For Karaoke night with friends: "Born to Hand Jive"" by Sha Na Na

Q: What is your favorite dance work and why?

Julio:
I like "Lamentation" by Martha Graham, I think perhaps because it is short and to the point. I love the way the fabric stretches in the piece. I recreated and performed this work for a dance history class in grad school, and it was quite cathartic to do despite it being a stationary dance.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

Julio: Hmm, a few of my favorites include Eddie the Eagle, Love Actually, and Avengers: Endgame.

Q: What has been your favorite dance moment during your career?

Julio: When I performed at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) in New York. I was there performing "Halfway to Dawn" with REALITY, David Rousseve's company. BAM is a significant venue to present and perform at. I felt like I made it, like it was a turning point in my career as a professional dancer.

Q: What is your favorite food dish?


Julio: udon noodles with hot sesame seed oil and oyster sauce

Q: What is your favorite book?

Julio: "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini


Sasikala Penumarthi, Instructor-Kuchipudi


Q: Who is your favorite dance artist?

Sasikala: My Guru Dr Vempati Chinna Satyam

Q: What is your favorite dance work and why?

Sasikala: Nutcracker ballet in Kuchipudi style. It’s a dance of joy, happiness, peace, and a blend of world cultures.

Q: What has been your favorite dance moment at the Emory Dance Program?

Sasikala: Working with students, teaching them an embodiment of knowledge through dance.

Q: What has been your favorite dance moment during your career?

Sasikala: Being recognized as the “Artist of the Evening” at the cultural festival in Tashkent, Russia.

Q: What is your favorite place on Emory's campus?

Sasikala: Carlos Museum

Q: What is your favorite food dish?

Sasikala: Eggplant Parmigiana

Q: What has been your favorite place you have traveled to?

Sasikala: Hawaii


Anne Walker, Dance Program Coordinator

Q: What is your favorite dance work and why?

Anne: I have seen so many great pieces, but the one that stands out recently is "Elemental Brubeck" by Lar Lubovitch, which was performed by the Atlanta Ballet last year. I love dance performed to jazz music! When Trisha Brown Dance Company was here, they performed a wonderful piece that was also set to jazz music, and I loved it.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

Anne: The Sound of Music

Q: What has been your favorite dance moment at the Emory Dance Program?

Anne: There have been so many! Even though it was a ton of work, hosting the American College Dance Association Southeast Conference in 2016 was also really fun. I also loved the site-specific EDC performances last fall! It was great to see dance in different environments.

Q: What is your favorite book?


Anne: My all-time favorite is "Anne of Green Gables." My recent favorite is "The War That Saved My Life," a middle-grade book I listened to with my daughter. It is a very powerful story of resilience.

Q: What has been your favorite place you have traveled to?


Anne: This is a hard one to answer! But I'll say Venice, Italy. I spent three months there doing a museum internship back before it became overrun with cruise ships and before residents started moving out. I was there late fall through winter, which was a magical, quiet time to experience the city. I also travel to the Maine coast every other year and consider it my "spirit place."

Q: What is your favorite food dish?

Anne: Anything with peaches!









No comments:

Post a Comment