Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Emory Dance Company Choreographer Olivia Browne



My name is Olivia Browne, and I am a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. I am double majoring in dance and movement studies and human health. My Emory Dance Company piece explores abstract ideas and sensations surrounding universal folklore, being alone vs. being lonely. Also, what happens if, in the pursuit of self-discovery, you realize that you are inherently evil and should deny the real you (a perversion of the "Eat, Pray, Love"/"finding myself" kind of narrative)? This overarching concept in horror mythology that vampires represent the fear of strangers/outsiders while the purpose of werewolves is to beware of the enemy within initially inspired the concept of my piece, and I have had a lot of success (and fun!) investigating the qualities and images that come with that.

My rehearsal process is very collaborative and involves a lot of manipulation of material, either generated by myself or the wonderful dancers in my piece. I am bringing in a ton of outside sources for inspiration and am asking the dancers to bring their own stories and memories into the work.

The purpose of this piece is to focus more on the process rather than the product and to imbue my own history with the mythology that we are exploring in the work. I hope the piece inspires a sort of existential crisis or dread in the audience (in the best way possible).





No comments:

Post a Comment