Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Emory Dance Company Choreographer Emilio Zurita Ontiveros


My name is Emilio and I am a junior double majoring in dance and biology. I was born and raised in Mexico City and only recently moved to the United States for college.

My inspiration for this piece is nature. I feel that many humans claim to appreciate nature, but only when it pleases their aesthetic. I want to highlight the less glamorous critters such as the decomposers, detritivores, and scavengers. These creatures keep the natural world running while fulfilling a vital role in every ecosystem. To me, it isn't about making them beautiful, but recognizing that they are already beautiful, even if we rarely think of them as such.

The rehearsal process is very collaborative with my cast. There are some set phrases that I bring in, but we do a lot of improvisation and movement creation. I take some of my ideas and natural inspirations and think of prompts to generate movement. I then present the prompts to my cast and we work on creating together.

I'm hoping that the audience will see the natural inspiration in my piece, without it being too literal. Also, I hope that the audience realizes that beauty is so much broader than what we're used to.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment