Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Emory Dance Company Choreographer Hayden Hubner

I’m Hayden Hubner and am a senior transfer student. I am planning on completing another year at Emory and will graduate in spring 2022. I am from Nashville, Tennessee, and moved to Atlanta in the summer of 2019.


My Emory Dance Company piece is based on a non-narrative poetic structure that draws inspiration from real relationships. These inspirations come from my own experiences, my dancers’ experiences, and the relationships we have seen in life or in art.


My rehearsal process includes set choreography, structured improvisation, and movement created by the dancers that is sculpted to fit the piece. I also bring to rehearsals writing prompts, visual art materials, and information from other dance work, films, and poems, etc. These tools inspire me and generate movements, textures, and organize the space.


It is hard to say how the audience will perceive this piece, but my hopes are that it makes room for them to relate and have an internal dialogue about their personhood. My main goal is to generate an emotional response that inspires contemplation about how we view ourselves and others, the effect time has on our relationships, and the idea that the obstacles in our lives structure the way we approach the world afterward. We borrow from those we know and love and are borrowed from. We take and are taken from. Sometimes, we forget and are forgotten. But what is left after each step in this process is what the piece aims to depict: the projection of that love, lust, fear, confidence, jealousy, vulnerability, stealth, and some relentless joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment