Friday, October 22, 2021

Student Profile: Olivia Browne on "My First and Greatest Love"

By Raven Crosby, Office Assistant

In September 2021, Raven Crosby, Dance Program Office Assistant, held an interview with dance major Olivia Browne, a third-year student from Dallas, Texas. Read about her experience in the Emory Dance Program and passion for dance below.


What led you to pursue dance at the collegiate level? What led you to join the Emory Dance Program? Was there a specific experience or event?

Browne: Dance for me has always been the primary driver in how I see my life playing out, both defining and exciting me. I have always thought dance was worthy of high intellectual study and consideration and I feel like Emory Dance does a great job of truly investigating dance as a cultural and physical phenomenon.

What do you enjoy the most about being a part of the Emory Dance Program? 

Browne: I have always loved performing and being given the opportunity to perform and choreograph last semester was a highlight of my Emory Dance experience. I also love how the dance program at Emory does not foster this toxic and competitive environment that many other dance spaces partake in.

Why do you dance?

Browne: I dance because dance embodies so many things necessary for life, the rituals and practices, the expression and communication, the play and challenge. I used to worry about the realities of no longer being able to dance and I now know that dance will never leave me. Dance will always be my first and greatest love.

Which courses have had the greatest impact on your development as a dance artist? What did you discover about yourself in these courses?

Browne: Last semester, I took Ballet IV with Mara (Mandradjieff) and I had the epiphany that I no longer needed to use ballet as a tool for shame or punishment and that I could just revel in the beauty and joy of the movement. It really unlocked this burden that I had been carrying all throughout my training. I also grew a lot as a choreographer in Choreography II last semester with George (Staib), pushing through the challenges and insecurities of making work to have a truly rewarding process and product.

Is there any advice that you would you give to a prospective student? An undeclared first-year student?

Browne: Take movement improvisation! Moving your body outside of codified notions of dance is so much fun and taps into the essence of dance. Also, go see as many dance shows as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment