Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Meet the Senior Unique Wilson


Image from actants

By Raven Crosby, Emory Dance Program Office Assistant

Unique Wilson is a senior originally from Washington, DC. At Emory, Wilson is majoring in dance and movement studies and minoring in women's, gender, and sexuality studies. During her time at Emory, she has worked diligently through her courses, participated in Emory Dance Company numerous times, and in the spring, will graduate with a bachelor of arts degree. 

Image from After Love

Over the past four years, Wilson has taken many courses in the Emory Dance Program, but Movement Improvisation has impacted her the most. Although dance majors are required to take Movement Improvisation once, Wilson has taken this course twice and plans to take it again during her final spring semester because it has been so important to her development as a dancer. 

Wilson states: “Movement Improvisation gave me the space to trust my movement choices and to see the value in them. It also pushed me to try things, leading to discoveries of new movement vocabulary in my body. Every opportunity to listen to my body and let it take me to uncharted territory expanded my view on what I could do.”

When asked if she had any advice to offer to first-year students joining the Emory Dance Program, Wilson said “challenge yourself.” She recommends that students take courses outside of their comfort zone and work with as many dance creatives as possible. Wilson also encourages first-year dancers not to be afraid to go back to the basics and more comfortable areas. She says, “There is always more to discover when you dig deeper into what you know.”

As Wilson reflects on her journey in the Emory Dance Program, the advice that she would have given to herself four years ago is: “I would urge myself to get plugged into the Emory Dance community sooner. I would also tell myself to be present in every moment and enjoy learning as I go.”

The Emory Dance Program is proud of all of Unique’s successes during the past four years and cannot wait to continue to hear more about her accomplishments in the future. Although Wilson is unsure of her post-college plans, she does plan to continue dancing.




No comments:

Post a Comment