Friday, March 29, 2024

Emory Dance Company Choreographer: Chi Rung Chan

 

The Spring 2024 Emory Dance Company Concert on April 18-20 features new work by students in our Choreography II course. Read about choreographer Chi Rung Chan's work and process below!

I’m exploring play through the rules, shapes, spatial patterns, and imagery of Taiwanese Mahjong.  I’m exploring rave through their specific culture, concepts, and music.  I’m most excited to world-build, through factual knowledge on our shared Taiwanese culture, as well as pure imagination and play on the concepts I’m exploring.  

While I am very hands-on and experimental, I am extremely intentional and specific in my movement generation. I enjoy sharing with my dancers the inspirations behind what we are building, and I especially enjoy watching them welcome and interpret my ideas with open arms and a twist of their own creativity. I practice collaboration in workshopping and problem-solving as a team with my cast, having fun and connecting with one another in the creative process. To me, that reflects not only my values as a choreographer but also a key component in both Mahjong and raving: to build relationships while having fun together.  

Thank you Chi Rung! Tickets for the Emory Dance Company Spring 2024 Concert are on sale now. Click here to purchase them now!

No comments:

Post a Comment