Friday, April 14, 2023

Emory Dance Company Choreographer Madison Lee

 Photo courtesy of Madison Lee

There's only one week until the Emory Dance Company spring concert! Read on to learn about choreographer Madison Lee's work premiering on April 20-22, 2023.

Madison Lee is a junior studying dance and business administration with concentrations in marketing and arts administration. She began her modern dance journey at Emory, dancing for Emory Dance Company and quickly becoming involved in the dance community. This is her second work for Emory Dance Company, after creating Blue Hour in spring 2022. Madison has worked with choreographers such as Jacque Pritz, Julio Medina, Lyrric Jackson, George Staib, Xan Burley, and Alex Springer, and presented a solo at the American College Dance Association last spring. She is excited to continue dancing in the Atlanta area and expanding her work as both a dancer and a choreographer. 

Read on to learn about her creative process and inspiration. 


My choreographic process actually begins with music. I’ll find songs that I am inspired by, and then I create a phrase that serves as a jumping off point for future movement. I also collaborate a lot with the dancers, especially with this work. I got the chance to work with each duet individually, and we worked together to create their movement. 

In my work, I am exploring concepts prevalent in sisterhood. The duets in this work explore themes of protection and sacrifice, nostalgia and adolescence, and performance and teamwork. 


This piece was made for and about my younger sister, so I am most excited for my sister’s reaction to this piece. I hope that she sees herself in the work and gets to look back at our lives together. I too feel drawn in because it is so personal, which is a newer realm of choreography for me. 


I hope that audiences watch this piece and see their own experiences with their siblings and connect to the themes explored by the dancers. 


Thank you Madison! 

Purchase tickets for the EDC Spring 2023 Concert here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment