Thursday, March 5, 2020

Emory Dance Company Choreographer Emily Fan


By Raven Crosby, Emory Dance Program Office Assistant
Emily Fan; photo by Melisa Cardona

Emily Fan is a junior majoring in dance and movement studies. For her piece set on the Emory Dance Company, she is exploring the intricacies that exist between the realms of form and fun. Fan stated that there is currently not a story line or message behind this piece but she is experimenting with “...themes of restraint/imprisonment and freedom and how they are translated through movement.” 

For her Emory Dance Company piece, Fan describes the movement quality as “... aligned and formulated in the lower body but complemented with a more flowing upper body.” In terms of choreographic inspiration, Fan stated “I don't have any one specific piece of inspiration for when it comes to creating content, mostly because this is my first time choreographing a group piece. I think my emotions often influence my movement and how I interpret movement.” 

Fan performed in Kristin O'Neal's Sweet Suite with the
Emory Dance Company in fall 2019.

Fan looks forward to “...see what connections I end up drawing to my work and finding out what the piece has been trying to tell me it's about. I'm excited for that sense of self-discovery.” In order to ensure that her cast understands her choreographic process, she has weekly check-ins before rehearsals. As for the audience, Fan’s biggest hope is that the audience can connect with her work in an emotional capacity. 

As we get closer to the show date, we will hold another interview with Emily Fan to explore her full choreographic process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment