Monday, April 15, 2019

EDC Choreographer Spotlight: Kelly Vogel



Emory Dance Company's spring concert "eight" is just around the corner! This concert features new contemporary work by eight student artists. The choreographic works are a culmination of the Choreography II course, led by Professor George Staib, where students learn about the different components of group choreography. As we get closer to the shows April 25-27th, we will be sharing a little insight into each of the works through a choreographer spotlight blog series. Kelly Vogel, a senior dance & movement students major, is our first choreographer spotlight!

Read on to find out more about Kelly's work, verge!

*Responses have been edited for length and clarity

I wanted to explore the idea of divisiveness in my work. As a human being existing in this world, we are constantly bombarded by the proposition to take sides, whether it be in the form of a political party, a certain stance on an issue, or simply an affiliation with an institution or group. It is clear to me the unproductive barriers that this mentality creates - which is why I wanted to start to untangle this topic with my dancers in my piece verge. Although my piece does not solve this division problem, or even necessarily provide answers about why humans exist in this state of divide, I am hoping it will enable audience members to evaluate their own perspectives, behaviors, and tendencies.

My dancers were crucial to the choreographic process. Without their investment in the work and their creativity, my piece would not exist. The way I enjoyed working collaboratively with my dancers was through prompts: I would give them various components of a rough sketch of what I wanted, whether that be an emotion, an attitude, a specific quality of movement, a relationship with another dancer, etc., and then I would set them free to create. Then, as choreographer, I saw it as my job to filter these ideas and understand how to arrange them in time and space to convey the movement and message I wanted.


Thanks Kelly!

Click here to get your tickets for the EDC Spring Concert: eight!

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment