Friday, January 25, 2019

Emory Dance Winter Studies: Broadway Dance Center



One of our Emory dancers, Willis Hao, received a Friends of Dance Mini-Grant this past winter break, to attend Broadway Dance Center's Winter Intensive in New York City! Willis is a theater studies major, and dance and movement studies minor. At Emory he is involved in multiple artistic pursuits, and was very excited to receive this grant and continue his studies.

Read on to find out more about his experiences!

*Responses have been edited for length and clarity


What intensive/program did you attend? Describe it briefly.

I attended the Broadway Dance Center Winter Intensive in New York. This intensive held over 20 hours of master classes from a diverse group of offerings including: West African, ballet, contemporary, tap, jazz, hip-hop, etc. It also introduced students to a team of well-known New York movers such as Sheila Barker (jazz) and Luis Salgado (theater) all in the span of four packed days.

What is your favorite memory from the intensive you attended?

I was allowed to take two drop-in classes as a part of the intensive, and they had this pop-up class for Vogueing. This class was one of the best experiences I've ever had, as we were able to incorporate the history of queer black/latino New Yorkers. It was liberating to enter a dance style that removed all labels of what it means to be masculine or feminine, and instead be invited to inhabit a space with strength. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot more about LGBTQ+ culture!

How do you feel this intensive has impacted you as an artist?

After this intensive I've really found my own desire for discipline. Whether it is disciplining myself to focus on my own body, disciplining my technique, disciplining what it means to put emotion into my movement, etc. One example I found especially expressive of this was in the Theater Tap class. It was really difficult, and one part of me really wanted to give up; however, I knew if I disciplined myself to focus and really attempt my best, I would learn something. This newfound want for discipline in my craft is something I really gained in this intensive.

Would you recommend this intensive to others, if so, why?

I would! It's definitely a challenge, but it really puts your body, your mind, and your courage through what it's like to be tested in the large scope of "dance." If you like a challenge, and are open-minded to information, this is a good intensive for you! I loved this opportunity and would not have changed it at all.


Thank you Willis!

To find out more about our upcoming spring events, click here!

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment