Friday, September 14, 2018

Emory Dance Summer Studies - Alvin Ailey



This past summer Emory dancer Athena Miros interned with the Alvin Ailey School of Dance in New York City. At Emory, Athena dances with Emory Dance Company and AHANA, and was very excited to have the opportunity to study in one of her favorite cities.

Read on to find out more about her experiences!

*Responses have been edited for clarity

This summer I worked as an intern at Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in New York City. Specifically, I worked for AileyCamp, which is an outreach program designed for low-income students to participate in a 6-week dance intensive. The students participate in classes in West African, jazz, ballet and Lester Horton Technique. I assistant taught and did office work for the camp. While I was in New York, I took classes at Broadway Dance Center. I also worked on my own choreography and filmed pieces I created.

Thanks Athena!

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram!

Click here to find out more about our fall events!

No comments:

Post a Comment