Thursday, April 12, 2018

EDC Spring Concert Choreographer Spotlight: Maggie Vail


Our fourth choreographer spotlight is on Maggie Vail! 
Maggie is a senior majoring in dance and linguistics, and she is so excited to share some of her creative thoughts and choreographic processes with our readers. This will be her second time choreographing for the Emory Dance Company. 

Read on to find out more!

My philosophy on making a work is that I want to cater the experience and piece to my cast. During our first rehearsal, I asked each of my five dancers to share with me concepts that they were interested in improving and investigating in their bodies, which ranged from dynamic range, to release, to feeling grounded. I've developed movement to incorporate all of their interests, and I hope that they feel like they are gaining more insight about their accessible bodies while also having a great time in the process! In addition to providing movement to my cast, they also made phrases which are integral to the work. 


My original idea of making a work about euphoria came to me in the middle of the night, sparked by a conversation with peer and close friend, Katie Messina. But after deciding to redirect the piece in another route, I spent time in the studio making movement and reflecting on the previous feedback session. By the end of the hour, I had decided to focus the work on my movement affinities of rebound, initiation, and space. My cast and I have been exploring the movement concepts of rebound, initiation, and release. Rather than trying to tell a story, the work emphasizes landscapes and architectures in space. We are still investigating and deepening our understanding of our bodies and these movement concepts in rehearsals, and I hope that will move my cast to continue to explore even after process is over.

Thanks Maggie!

To purchase your tickets for the show, click here!

Click here to find out more about our upcoming spring events!



No comments:

Post a Comment