Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Emory Dance Winter Studies: BDF/Gibney Connect Intensive


Emory dancer Katie Messina attended the BDF/Gibney Connect Intensive during this past winter break. This was a four day program hosted by Bates Dance Festival and Gibney Dance, at Gibney Dance Center in New York City. Katie attended daily classes in modern technique and composition, as well as attended seminars with dance professionals who are currently pursuing work in the field. Katie's experience was funded by an Emory Friends of Dance Mini-Grant.


Find out more about her experiences below!


*Responses have been edited for length and clarity


Why did you decide to pursue a movement intensive this past winter break?

I felt extremely inspired by dance this past fall. I felt it was important to keep that fire ignited by taking a step away from the Emory community and experiencing something completely new. It would allow me to keep learning and training through what is typically regarded as “time off.” We were lucky this year to have a long enough break that I also did get some time to relax. Plus, with my personality, I needed to keep moving.

What are some takeaways/insights you have from this experience?

This sounds dramatic, but truly the BDF/Gibney Connect Intensive was one of the best dance experiences of my life. I thoroughly enjoyed every class I took. Additionally, because I had gone to the Bates Dance Festival over the summer, I was able to see the true power of connections in the dance world--I was shocked at how many people I knew and recognized! Getting to move with them again, as well as some of the most incredible forces in our dance world right now, was both incredibly inspiring and humbling. From Kendra Portier to Amy Miller and Jennifer Nugent, these were some of the best teachers I’ve learned from. Two specific things I was reminded of were to find power in my fatigue when I have been moving for hours straight and the nuances in movement and phrase work.

Why do you think this was a valuable experience, and how will you apply it to your studies here at Emory, and in your future post-graduation?

I learned a lot of choreographic skills from a class with David Parker that I have been using in my current Emory Dance Company piece. These were ideas to generate movement that I had never learned, and I found that class meaningful. Additionally, after the classes we would have lectures about different topics such as what it means to dance in a company, or freelancing. These will help guide me next year as I attempt to continue to dance post graduation.

Would you recommend this program (or similar ones) to other movers, and if so, why?

I would 110% recommend this program, because you are truly learning from the best in one of the major hubs of dance: New York City. The community is supportive, but also challenging. Overall though, I would encourage everyone to just dance as much as possible, and take advantage of the opportunities offered by Emory. We have the tremendous gift to be able to dance during winter and summer breaks with aid from the Friends of Dance Scholarship Program and the Friends of Dance Mini-Grants.


Thank you Katie!


Find out more about BDF/Connect Gibney Dance Intensive here!


For more information on our Spring Dance events, click here!






No comments:

Post a Comment